How do I translate the categories and tags?

8 years 4 months ago #2784 by luniablue
I have a multi-language website that I'm using this component in and I need to have the categories and tags that I create translatable. I've seen multiple postings about creating a duplicate category in the needed language which would be fine except that I can't assign the location to more than one category. This means that I would need to multiple copies of locations. One for each language. A bit of a daunting task since there's no location duplicate option.

Is there a way to add the category terms to the language INI file or something?

By he way, I'm using 1.8.3.2 in Joomla! 2.5.19.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #2785 by luniablue
Replied by luniablue on topic How do I translate the categories and tags?
So I found a patch for myself. Not ideal, especially if you generate categories/tags frequently or your client manages the site, but it works for us.

I opened the file view.html.php in /components/com_storelocator/views/map/tmpl and edited lines 111 and 162 so that instead of the label being:
...<label for=\"catid_$obj->value\">$obj->text</label></li>\n";

I changed it to:
...<label for=\"catid_$obj->value\">".JText::sprintf( $obj->text )."</label></li>\n";

then I added the category names to the es-ES.com_storelocator.ini file I copied from the english file in /components/com_storelocator/language/es-ES/

Example:
EDUCATION="Educación"
FOOD="Alimento"

More
8 years 4 months ago #2788 by sysgenmedia
Replied by sysgenmedia on topic How do I translate the categories and tags?
Glad you found a solution, and that does work... We also support Joom!Fish for Database field translations as an alternitive...

More